Sunday School Lesson 12, 18/11/17
THE ANOINTING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
Memory Verse: “How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power; who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was the him” – Acts 10:38
Bible Passage: Acts 4:5-20
We have studied how to receive the baptism in the Holy Spirit and the actual baptism. We also gave considerations to the Baptiser and the evidence of baptism. Today, by the special grace of God, we shall be looking at the Anointing – what it is exactly and the conditions for maintaining the flow.
- What exactly is anointing?
- Conditions for maintaining the flow
WHAT EXACTLY IS ANOINTING?
Anointing is the outflow of the Holy Spirit through a sanctified vessel. It is a divine enabling grace (Acts 4:5-20).
It is likened unto Rain 9Zechariah 10:1; Joel 2:23), but it is neither the “WELL” of water springing up into everlasting life (John 4:14), nor the flowing “RIVERS” of living water (John 7:38) for these are referring to the operations of the HOLY GHOST at the new birth and at baptism of believers (not of water) respectively.
This is the rain of the POWER of God from above to increase the water levels of both the “WELL” and the “RIVER” to bring about the overflow (Luke 4:18-19).
The anointing determines the volume of water in the rivers, which in turn determines the function of which they can be put. Similarly, for example the level of anointing in a man determines the number of people he can carry along or his productivity as a man of God e.g. compare (Acts 2:41) with (Acts 4:8-32) when 3,000 (three thousand) and multitudes of people received Christ respectively after baptism in the Holy Ghost.
The Lord Jesus, as a perfect example, came under a strong anointing and his fame went abroad (Acts 10:38). It makes the christian life active and full of results. As it were, it enthrones the believer (John 14:12, 1 Peter 2:9, Revelations 1:6). The anointing breaks every yoke of the devil and demolishes any spiritual mountain (Isaiah 10:27).
CONDITIONS FOR MAINTAINING THE FLOW
1. Love for righteousness, hatred for iniquity. The lord Jesus never ran out of anointing because He love righteousness and hated iniquity (Hebrews 1:9, John 14:30). Sin places a limit on anointing. Paul, a successful Apostle, was exception (1thessalonians 2:10). God enjoins us to “DO” righteousness also (1 John 3:7)
2. Walking in love: if a beliver is to constantly flow in anointing, love for God, himself, the ministry, the church and people in general must be paramount. A release of fresh anointing always follows the compassionate feelings of the Lord Jesus (John 11:35, 43-44, Mark 6:34-41)
3. Living a life of praise: A life of praise increase the flow of anointing (Exodus 15:11). Murmuring and complaints keep anointing far away, so do not engage in either.
All true believers that want to succeed in the pilgrims’ way must equally desire ever flowing anointing. The kingdom of God is not in words but in the demonstration of the spirit and power of God.
1. Define anointing
2. What are the conditions for maintaining the flow of anointing?